Since its introduction in June 2017, the famous Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) Madaraka Express train has been serving a large number of people daily. SGR Booking online, Fares and Contacts
However, many passengers have been left disappointed due to the many challenges they experienced while trying to obtain travel tickets.
Initially, the only available means of booking SGR tickets for the trains between Nairobi and Mombasa were either using USSD Code *639# or visiting the Syokimau and Miritini stations, respectively.
Luckily, on January 8, 2018, Kenya Railways launched the Madaraka Express train service website, where passengers can now enjoy the convenience of booking a ride very comfortably.
The secret behind the booking is to obtain the SGR contacts and make the call in advance. Early booking will ensure you do not miss a seat with last-minute reservations.
There are several ways you could get an available train at the Standard Gauge Railway. In case you have no clue about the process, you can use the contacts for SGR and ask for help.
You could also log on to the Kenya Railways Website to find the procedure.
How to book an SGR train online
1. Go to metickets.krc.co.ke
2. Select the preferred train (Madaraka Express for the afternoon or SGR intercounty for morning travel)
3. Select your starting station (Mombasa, Athi River, Emali, Kibwezi, Miaseny, Mariakani, Mtito Andei, Voi or Nairobi)
4. Type in or Select your desired destination (Nairobi, Voi, Mtito Andei, Mariakani, Miaseny, Kibwezi, Emali, Athi River or Mombasa,)
5. Indicate or select the travel date
6. Select the coach type and indicate the number of passengers (Second Class or First class)
7. Enter the passenger details (Full names, ID/Passport number, and Country)
8. Select the payment option (Mpesa)
How long does the SGR Madaraka Express train take from Nairobi to Mombasa?
Besides being cheaper, the train travels are much more comfortable and time conscious, especially for business people.
The trains move at a maximum speed of 120 km/h.
The whole journey takes about 5 hours, 55 Minutes for morning trains, and about 5 hrs for the afternoon express train.
What are the charges for the SGR Madaraka Express Train?
The train has two classes: Economy class and First class.
The ticket price for the economy class is Ksh 1000, while that of First Class is Ksh 3000.
How to book the SGR train tickets in advance
Booking SGR Madaraka express train tickets have been a challenge given the high number of people traveling daily between these two destinations.
It is advisable to purchase the tickets for about three to four days in advance. To do this, you either need to:
1. Go to the respective station (Miritini and Syokimau stations).
2. Purchase using Mpesa
3. Call Kenya railways to make a reservation and pay for the tickets using Mpesa or by visiting the station.
4. Send someone to book for you or,
5. Book online from the online portal (SGR Website online).
Note: While booking, you will be asked to specify the type of train you would like to use and the areas of your departure and arrival. You should also give the preferable date of departure.
Once you make the SGR online booking, you will get a confirmation message which you will use the details to print the ticket at the respective station (departing station)
You can book individual tickets 30 days in advance.
Group bookings for more than 20 passengers should be made officially 30 days in advance.
ALSO, READ List of Best Online Shopping Sites in Kenya
Is there a ticket refund policy in place if one misses the train?
The answer is yes. If you miss the train, you will get a refund as follows:
If you notify the SGR train attendants in advance before the train departs, you will get an 80% refund while the operators retain 20 percent as a refund fee.
You will not get a refund if the train has already departed from the primary or intermediate stations.
In any case, you will not get a refund if the train ticket is lost or damaged to a point where it cannot be recognized.
How To buy Tickets using USSD (With a Safaricom Simcard).
1. Dial *639#
2. Select the desired train (County Train – Morning or Express Train – Afternoon)
3. Follow the other steps
4. Once you make the payment, wait for Mpesa confirmation
5. In the confirmation message, you will get an Account Number
6. Use that number together with your Mobile number to print the ticket(s) at the station.
How to buy SGR Ticket with Ease Using M-Pesa
1. Start by contacting customer care through SGR booking contacts, which include 0709 388 888, within office hours 7 in the morning and 4 in the evening.
2. Give your travel details, including telephone number, travel dates, and cabin choice, which could be the economy of VIP.
3. SGR customer care representatives will, in turn, inform you of the amount required to book the ticket.
4. You will instantly become prompted with a short message containing crucial details such as pay Bill number, amount to be paid, and the payment ID.
5. Respond by making the required payment using the Lipa Na M-Pesa option and the Pay Bill option provided.
6. After paying, you will receive a message containing essential ticket details
Note: Make sure to show early enough during the travel day. Early arrival is particularly necessary for a traveler to get a printed boarding pass.
Does Madaraka Express train have a restaurant?
Yes. You can get water, tea, snack, and other refreshments on the train at a fee.
SGR Kenya contacts
Passengers can also inquire about the schedule of the trains to identify the train timetable that is most convenient by contacting the customer service team through the SGR booking office contacts.
The contact details above will offer the booking help needed to you:
The postal address is P.O Box 30121-00100, Nairobi, Kenya.
Telephone numbers for SGR booking contacts Mombasa and Nairobi SGR booking contacts include: 0728603582/ 0728603581/ 0708572574/0708571587
The SGR website can be found at www.krc.co.ke
Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The SGR twitter handle is at @KenyaRailways
The Facebook page for SGR is on Kenya Railways