The term cadet is used to refer to people training to become an officer in the military or maritime sector.
Qualifications as a cadet
- A Kenyan citizen with no dual citizenship
- Be between 18 to 26 years of age.
- A valid Kenyan National Identity Card (ID)
- KRA pin certificate will be required.
- Minimum height of 1.60m (5ft 3in) for men and 1.52m (5ft) for the ladies.
- Minimum weight in men is 54.55 Kg and women 50.00 Kg
Minimum academic qualifications for Cadet
Mean grade of B+ in KCSE with C+ in English, Mathematics and one Science subject.
After a three years training under this category, one will graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Military Science and Security Studies.
Also, one can join Cadet as a fresh graduate from school but will have to train for three years for two programs; military training and academics. After the training, the trainee graduates with a Bachelor of Science, defense and security studies.
Once a cadet is designated, they gain the first rank of the second lieutenant, which they hold for up to three years.