NEMIS. Ministry of Education introduced a new system where all learners in educational institutions, from nursery to university, are required to have a Unique Personal Identifier (UPI) number.
The six-character UPI is an inaugural measure to hinder the occurrence of fake certificates, curb the theft of public funds through ghost teachers and check the exaggerated student enrolment figures.
The number is similar to the PIN issued by the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) and in like manner, will track the progress of a student all through their academic life.
Keep reading this article to find out how you can track learners’ performance in Kenya.
What is NEMIS?
The National Education Management Information System (NEMIS) is a web-based data management solution that collects data and information from education institutions; processes and reports the status of designed indicators, and provides the sector a solid ground for effective management to ensure that every Learner counts.
The online platform tracks the performance mobility of learners and teaching staff to ensure efficiency and effective utilization of education resources.
Who Can Access the Nemis Portal?.
Anyone can access the Nemis Portal Login. As long as you have an active or functional username and password provided by the Ministry of Education Nemis system administrator.
However, you must know which level of information you are interested in. That way, it will be easier to go straight to what you want.
That said, users of this system include the Ministry of Education itself, development partners, the National Treasury, KNEC, TSC, parents, students and others who may be directly interested in matters education.
NEMIS Registration Process.
The registration process begins by visiting the NEMIS website nemis.education.go.ke. You only become a member by ensuring that you register in the NEMIS portal.
Information to be Captured on the NEMIS System
- Student or pupil name as they appear on their birth certificate
- Date of birth
- Nationality of the student
- The student home county and sub-county
- Any special needs
- Parent names and contacts
- Parents’ or guardian identification number
- Parent or guardian official contact number
Here is the procedure:
Visit the NEMIS portal at http://nemis.education.go.ke
1. Log onto the system by using the official login credentials; User Name and Password.
2. Click on the ‘LEARNER’ tab and select ‘View my learners’ from the drop-down list.
3. Select the Class/ Form of the learner. A list of learners will be displayed.
4. At the top left corner of the list, locate and click on the ‘ADD NEW STUDENT’ tab. A new window titled ‘Learner Bio-Data’ is displayed.
5. Enter the learner’s details correctly i.e Surname, First Name, Other Names, Birth Certificate Entry Number, Date of Birth, Gender, Nationality, and Special Condition (if any). Click on ‘SAVE BASIC DETAILS’ once done.
6. The Learner will be accorded a new UPI.
7. Select and correctly update details on the other two tabs; Contact details and Special Needs.
8. Note: To edit the Learner’s details, open the form that the learner is currently placed by using the ‘LEARNER’ tab, locate the learner in the list and click on ‘VIEW’.
Note: Passwords used at registration should be remembered. Should one forget the same, it is possible to get a new one.
However, this comes with a limitation; it is only to reset 24 hours after the last reset.
How to Access the NEMIS Portal Login Area.
Accessing NEMIS is a similar process as the steps you follow when accessing sites such as the TSC and KNEC portal. Quickly, the following procedure applies:
- Open your browser; opera, internet explorer, google, etc
- Type in http://nemis.education.go.ke or search, NEMIS Kenya.
- Step number 2 will direct you to the NEMIS login. You need to register and activate the menu
- Enter your pass work password and then click log in
How to Register Institutions, Staff, and Learners in the NEMIS Education Portal.
- The registration process starts by first visiting the NEMIS site at http://nemis.education.go.ke
- Key in your username and password to log into the system
- Click LOGIN
- The NEMIS homepage will appear. See photo below:
- Choose which level you are interested in; whether this is the institution, learner, staff, finance, or reports, place a cursor where necessary
- For example, maybe you want to register your institution. Click on ‘institutions’ and then ‘My Institution’ – see above. The same procedure should apply to other categories as well.
- Going with the institution category, you will be required to upload the institution’s official ownership documents as shown below.
Enter all data, ownership details, institution contacts, and the documents. Then click the ‘Complete Submission’ button.
After that, you are good to go. Note that this procedure is the same for feeding in learners’ or staffs’ information.
Why Do We Need NEMIS?
Overall, the Ministry of Education needs to use the NEMIS system to help them manage the complex data and systems which are pronounced in the education sector.
Having a single source of data is a win for the mammoth education sector. This data is easy to access and compile correct data for analysis to help facilitate proper planning and budget allocation.
Besides, the system doesn’t just focus on learners alone. It also looks to back the administrative functions of the education sector.
To put it better, issues of good governance for efficiency, accountability, and transparency will be easily managed through NEMIS. Meaning that a more robust education system is on course.
Other things that NEMIS will do include monitoring and evaluating education info to improve the quality of education in the institutions.
You can get key statistics about schools, human resources, physical facilities and enrolment of students in the NEMIS system.
Here are the NEMIS Modules.
NEMIS is comprised of four key modules as I am going to explain them right next.
1. Institutions Module
This is the module that captures the registration and physical aspects of an institution. Under this module, are six sub-modules with their functions.
- Institution Registration
The purpose is to register all institutions with the ministry; whether this is a new school or an existing one.
- School Infrastructure
Captures all equipment and fixed assets based on the quantity and date of acquisition.
- School Utility
Captures the utility name and brief description of on the utility type
All co-curricular activities taking place in the school should be captured in this module. The year and the highest achievement for that institution in these activities.
- Teaching and Learning Material
The learning materials such as course books and supplementary books, their quantities are captured in this module.
- Emergency Reporting
Necessary for capturing all emergencies or disasters that may strike a school.
2. Learners Module
All the details regarding learners such as registration, performance, progress, transition to different levels of learning are recorded here.
- Unique Personal Identifier
This is the module that allows for the input of a birth certificate number, ID number or Alien number and the NEMIS system auto-generates a UPI
- Learner Registration
The contact details of the learner are captured here
- Student Mobility
Handles all the changes after a student moves or changes an institution. Captures mobility type.
- Performance Progression
The performance of each learner is captured in this module after completion of a certain level i.e. primary, secondary, etc.
- Learner Talent
Captures all details regarding the talents of a learner.
3. Staff Module
This module captures staff details –both teaching and non-teaching. This includes appointments and mobility within the education sector.
- Teachers and Non-teaching staff Registration Module
- Teacher mobility: for capturing teacher transfers and indicates the transfer history of teachers
- Teaching areas: all necessary subjects taught by a teacher are captured
- Study areas: the training of a particular teacher
- Teachers’ Responsibilities; captures all responsibilities assigned to the teacher in the institution
4. Finance Module
The NEMIS portal login also leads you to the finance module where all finance or money matters are delicately handled. The module captures the income and expenditure of an institution.
- Fees: this submodule captures the fee amount of an institution with all approved fee items
- Capitation: helps in setting up the capitation for disbursement to public schools in a given calendar and year
- Income Returns: captures all money received by the institution during a given year
- Development Fund: captures all projects funded in an institution within a given financial year
- Expenditure Returns: the interface captures the exact amount a school spent, milestones achieved with the money, and the percentage completed in a project
Other user modules to take note of are the Password module which enables you to change a password if in case you forgot the details. And a report module that allows one to generate reports specific to their mandate or role.
Target Groups for NEMIS Users.
Let’s have a quick look into the key stakeholders which are supposed to be using NEMIS.
- Ministry of Education
- Ministries, Departments, and agencies
- ICT professionals
- Development Partners
- Kenya Primary School Heads Association
- Kenya Secondary School Heads Association
- National Secondary School Association
- Kenya Private School Association
Further Advice on Nemis Portal Login System.
You will need to meet the following set of computer software minimum requirements to have full access to the NEMIS Portal:
- Hardware: 2.4 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD space.
- Software: NEMIS is compatible with ALL Operating Systems – Windows 7, 10, iOS, Android, etc.
- Network Connectivity: Broadband connectivity 3G with a speed of at least 2MB per second
- Other devices: a digital camera for capturing learners’ images. Of course, printers, computers, etc. will be required as well.
NEMIS Admission Portal Support Details.
- NEMIS Telephone contact: +254-020-3318581 or +254700000000
- NEMIS email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- NEMIS Official website: http://nemis.education.go.ke/
- NEMIS Office Location: Jogoo House B, Harambee Avenue
- Official NEMIS pdf manual (complete): Download from this page