Over half a million students who sat the 2023 KCSE exams will not be able to join the various universities and colleges through government sponsorship program. Instead, these students can take certificate and artisan courses in the Technical and Vocational Education and Training, TVET, program.
The Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service, KUCCPS, gave out the list of courses under the TVET making it easy for these students to puck a course of their choice depending on their cluster points. Cluster points is the maximum points in a given cluster of four subjects required for a particular course compared against the points of best candidates in that exam year.
In Kenya, there are 11 approved and certified TVET colleges by KUCCPS that offer wide range of courses. In the last three years, TVET has earned significant recognition with even students who are eligible to join universities foregoing the chance but opting to join TVET.
List of courses in TVETs
1. Business Courses (Minimum grade E)
The 13 approved business courses in TVET include;
- Artisan Storekeeping
- Artisan Accounting Technician
- Artisan in Secretarial and Office Administration
- Artisan in Human Resource Management
- Artisan in Supply Chain Management
- Artisan in Front Office Management
- Artisan in Housekeeping and Accommodation
2. Building and Construction
- Artisan in Building Technology
- Artisan in Masonry
- Building Artisan
- Artisan in Land Survey
- Land Surveying Artisan
- Trade Test in Masonry.
3. Engineering Technology
- Artisan in Electrical Installation
- Artisan in Electrical Wireman
- Electrical Installation Level 4
- Artisan in Electrical and Electronics
- Artisan in Automotive Engineering.
4. Information Technology
- Artisan in Information Communication Technology
- ICT Artisan Level 4
- ICT Technician Level 4
5. Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
- Artisan in Hair Dressing and Beauty Therapy
- Artisan in Hairdressing
- Artisan in Hair and Beauty