Kenyans were shocked after fire outbreak was witnessed at the Mombasa Port on Tuesday that left one person injured. The Kenya Ports Authority has now come out to clarify the reason that led to the outbreak.
According to their statement, the fire outbreak was due to an explosion on the MT Eastwind that was next to African Marine General Engineering Company ship repair yard. It is reported that the explosion was caused by an electrical fault on the ship.
“KPA Harbour Tug Simba III that is equipped with firefighting capability contained the fire by 1235hrs nearly an hour after the incident was reported by the master of the ship to the KPA control tower. The instant response by the tugboat and fire brigade on the shore side ensured normalcy,” KPA said.
Kenya Ports Authority Managing Director, Captain William Ruto, appreciated the crew of Tug Simba III for successfully containing the fire
“The fire brigade continued to monitor the situation where they left at around 1450hrs after confirming the situation was normalised and safe,” he said.