A land title deed is a document that proves ownership and legal right over a piece of land. It is the most fundamental document required during a land transaction and its details are usually changed from the vendor to the purchaser after a land transaction has taken place to show the transfer of ownership. Find below the documents needed and the procedure on how to transfer land title deed in Kenya.
Documents required to transfer title deed in Kenya
The process of transferring a land title deed from one person to the other often takes not more than 90 days. In order to do that. The following are the documents required to transfer title deed in Kenya:
- A copy of the valuation report
- Obtain Consent to transfer from the commissioner of Land
- Stump duty assessment form and payment proof
- Rent clearance certificate
- Copies of ID and KRA PIN certificates
- 2 copies of colored passport size photos for each party
- Transfer consent from the commissioner of lands or the land control board
- The title deed
- Land rent clearance certificate
ALSO, READ, How to Subscribe to Safaricom Skiza Tune
The procedure for transferring a title deed in Kenya
The process of transferring a title deed is as follows:
- the purchaser obtains a land rent clearance certificate. This is often at no cost, done at the office of the commissioner of land and takes not more than 20 days
- The seller then needs to apply, pay and obtain a rates clearance certificate from the county office in which the land is located. The certificate cost around Kshs 10,000.
- Apply for a search on the title deed which takes not more than 3 working days at a cost of Kshs 500.
- The seller then needs to apply for and obtain the consent to transfer from the National land commission. The document costs about Kshs 1,000 and takes not more than 2 weeks.
- Valuation of the land by government valuer to ascertain the amount to be paid as stamp duty.
- Paying the stamp duty, the amount indicated on the valuation report is then to be paid to the commissioner for Domestic taxes (KRA) and the payment receipt presented as proof.
- The final step of the transfer is to lodge stamped transfer documents for registration at the local land office. This process takes no more than 2 weeks.