We have written a model on how to renew a Kenyan passport as of 2019. Passport replacement for misplaced, expired or damaged Kenyan passports are efficiently done online within the eCitizen Portal.
What is a Passport?
A passport is a travel document issued by a country’s government to its citizens that verifies the identity and nationality of the holder for the purpose of international travel.
Passports are small booklets that typically include the bearer’s name, place of birth, date of birth, the date of issue, date of expiry, passport number, photo, and signature. There are several kinds of passports depending on the status of the bearer in their home country. The main distinction between a passport and a visa is that a passport is assigned to a country’s citizens for international travel and identification.
- A passport is used to verify one’s country of citizenship. If traveling outside your country, it is used to regain entry into your country of citizenship.
- Passports include your photo, name, birth date, gender, and physical characteristics.
- Some countries only require a passport for re-entry. Other countries may require a visa before entry. You should confirm if a country-specific visa* is required before traveling.
- Diplomats and government officials are granted different passports than what’s given to regular travelers.
ALSO READ: How to Apply for a National Identity card in Kenya
Prices for losing or damaging your passports are as follows.
- Losing your passport- Ksh10,050
- Damaging your passport – Ksh 12,050
In case your passport has expired, here are the costs for replacing it in Kenya.
- A series (32 pages) – Ksh 4,550
- B series (48 pages) – Ksh 6,050
- C series (64 pages) – Ksh 7,550
- Diplomatic passports – Ksh 7,550
Required Documents For Passport Renewal
- Original National ID and photocopies which are appropriately certified by a lawyer.
- Three passport size photos
- Recommender’s ID
- An Ecitizen pre-filled passport application form
- Three invoices
- Personal appearance for biometric capture and digital photo
- The expired passport
- Photocopy of the last two pages of the expired passport.
Recommenders, in this instance, can be one of the following.
- An advocate
- A banker
- A religious leader.
- A doctor
- A civil servant
Passport Renewal Application Procedure
- Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
- Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and bang on the passport application form. Alternatively, you can utilize the Department of immigration services and snap on the passport application form.
- Fill the application form respectively
- Choose the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees as listed above on costs for renewing passports.
- Download the application form after completely filling it and print it and three application receipts.
- Submit the application form in person to the immigration offices; Nyayo House Nairobi, Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret, Kisii, Embu, & Kisumu.)
In case you have any other queries on the renewal process, you can reach the immigration offices beneath.
- Mombasa Office – 0708206206
- Nairobi (Nyayo House) office – 0772246669