For many employers these days, The Good Conduct Certificate is becoming a prerequisite requirement before even considering an application. Good Conduct Certificate is increasingly becoming an essential requirement for many employers as it ensures a potential employee has no criminal history as documented by the Criminal Records Office (C.R.O.).
The Good Conduct Certificate assures a potential employer that you do not have any criminal record at hand. Moreover, if your company is making applications for tenders, you will also be required to submit a good conduct certificate for your directors. Therefore, we are going to look at how to apply for a good conduct certificate online. We will go into details of the requirements you need to meet as well as the total cost.
Good Conduct Certificate requirements
- Must be a Kenyan citizen above 18 years of age. If below 18 years, they should use their parent’s eCitizen account to apply.
- Be a holder of a Kenya ID card and its copy – soon to be replaced by Huduma number
- Need to have Ksh.1050 in Mpesa/cash to make payment
- Require to have an eCitizen account
The first three requirements are quite simple and understandable. We will first have to discuss how to create an eCitizen account for those who don’t know how to go about doing it.
How to create an eCitizen account
- Open your browser and go to eCitizen website
- On the far right corner of the page, you will see create an account button, click on it
- Select the account category you want to apply for, assuming its a Kenyan citizen, select that
- Then input your ID number, and the first name has it appears on your ID card
- You will then be required to enter your email address and your preferred password and reconfirm it.
- Go to your email address, and you will find a confirmation link, then click on activate your account
- After successful activation, click on next
- Enter your phone number and click on send a verification code
- Input the verification code send to you through Mpesa and click Verify
- The next step is to upload your photo; this step can also be skipped if you don’t want to
- You have now created an eCitizen account
ALSO, READ How to apply for a National identity card ID in Kenya
eCitizen Good Conduct download
Once you have an eCitizen account, the process of getting a good conduct certificate online is pretty simple. Here is how to go about getting one:
- Log in to your eCitizen account, one we created above
- Go to the Director of Criminal investigation tab and click on ‘Get service now.’
- A new display tab will be displayed
- Click on the make application button on the far right corner of the screen
- Select the application you want to make: Whether it is for a child/adult
- Read and understand all the instructions as displayed on the page
- After reading and following the instructions, click on the left bottom part with the apply now button
- Fill in the details requested, Area you are, where specifically in Nairobi you will get your fingerprints taken and the specific date, click continue
- The next screen will display your details as you have input in step 8, then click submit
- However, if you need to make any amendments, click on back to make the changes first
- After submitting, the payment mode tab will be displayed.
- Select the most appropriate model, for most people its Mpesa
- On clicking the Mpesa mode, the tab will display a pay bill number to use
- Upon receiving a confirmation message from Mpesa, click on complete
- Once eCitizen confirms your payment, you will be able to download the C24 form(fingerprint form) and Receipt indicating Paid.
- Present the Original ID and its photocopy (or Birth Certificate for minors), two (2) copies of the online payment invoice, and one (1) copy of the C24 printed on both sides of a C24 to DCI headquarters or regional police headquarters.
The C24 form has to be printed on both sides of an A4 paper.
Requirements during submission
- The applicant in person
- Two copies of the paid receipt (Ksh.1050)
- a Copy of C24 printed on both sides of A4 paper
- Original ID and Photocopy
- The applicant must be willing and able to present his palm prints and fingerprints to be printed on form C24
How Long Does a Certificate of Good Conduct Take to Process
1. Ideally, the certificate of good conduct takes between two weeks and one month to process, after which it should be ready for pick-up at the DCI Headquarters, Nairobi.
How I can Determine if a Clearance Certificate is Genuine
With cases of forgery and fraud on the rise, determining the authenticity of a Good Conduct Certificate is essential.
1. To ascertain the authenticity of a generated certificate, first Send the word DCI to 21546, which subscribes to the service.
2. Dial *512# from your phone, which prompts you through the verification process.
Can I Process the Clearance Through the eCitizen Good Conduct Download
The eCitizen platform facilitates half of the process, including paying the due fee and filling/printing of form C24.
However, you need to present yourself physically at the DCI offices in Kenya, Huduma Centres, or the Kenyan embassy when abroad for taking of fingerprints.
The validity of the Certificate of Good Conduct
The police good conduct certificate is valid for one year from the date of printing; hence is subject to annual renewal.
This is to synchronize the certificate with the criminal records that may have entered into the police books within the period.