The birth certificate is defined as a legal document containing the certification of birth of a person. Only the responsible registry office located in Germany will be authorized to issue the birth certificate. The document will contain the registry office’s seal along with the name and signature of the issuing registrar/officer.
Before you decide to apply for a birth certificate in Germany, it’s important to learn about the charges for the same. Hence, when obtaining normal or international birth certificates, the cost is 10 Euros with 5 Euros for each additional copy. Birth certificates come with lifetime validity. Furthermore, once you apply for your birth certificate, the processing time for the same can range from two to three weeks.
Additionally, the documents that will be required for obtaining a new birth certificate are the primary certificate of birth, additional identity card or passport, the birth certificates of both parents and the marriage certificate (in case the applicant is married).
On the other hand, if you’re applying for a replacement birth certificate, then you’ll require the following set of documents: documents for applicant identification, an informal letter containing the request for the application along with the possibility of having to showcase the damaged birth certificate.
Applying For a Birth Certificate In-Person
To apply for a birth certificate in-person, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- First, you need to make an official appointment with the respective registry office of the region where the birth had originally taken place and was registered.
- Once your appointment is sanctioned and you’re able to visit the registry office, you have to pick up the birth certificate application form and then proceed to fill it up.
- After that, you have to attach the supporting documents with the application form and then submit the same to the assisting officer.
- The assisting officer will then be validating your application along with your supporting documents. Once done, you’ll be required to pay the relevant fees for the same.
- Eventually, your application will be processed and you’ll receive your birth certificate.
Applying For a Birth Certificate in Germany Online
When applying for a birth certificate online, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Firstly, you have to visit the official website for obtaining the birth certificate online.
- Proceed to read the salient instructions before you decide to request your birth certificate.
- After that start filling out the application form with proper information, especially with the fields marked with * (which also includes house numbers). Any supporting documents can also be required during this stage. Once done, proceed to pay for the same online.
- After successfully transacting the process online, complete the rest of the application procedure and submit the same.
- Once you’ve successfully submitted your application, the same will be processed for immediate approval from the respective authorities. You’ll then receive your birth certificate within the next two to three weeks.
Applying For a Birth Certificate By Post
For applying for a birth certificate by post, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- When applying for a birth certificate by post or by fax, you have to first write an informal letter for the same, addressing to the respective registry where the birth had taken place.
- Once done, proceed to mail the application to the address of the district office, which is mentioned below.
District Office Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg of Berlin
PO Box 35 07 01
Additionally, if you live abroad, then you can also apply and collect the birth certificate through a representative, who will be acting on your behalf. The representative will be creating the application on your behalf.